Monday, September 16, 2013

My Favorite Lab Ever



The first lesson I was observed with, my senior year student teaching, was this baby! Genetics! I love science! It is my absolute favorite! I thought why not relate the lesson to something the kids like and understand? Better yet, how about I relate it to a movie. What better movie than one that concerns stereotypes, character and inherited traits, and learned behaviors? What could be better than "How to Train Your Dragon,"? The students discovered genetic traits for their dragons by choosing colored M&M's from different bowls. Each combination warranted a different physical trait. The kids loved it, I loved it, it was a blast! Hands-on, inquiry-based, open-discussion: the kids were hooked! We went through this Prezi and discussed what we saw. The kids didn't wanna stop watching the videos... until I brought out the M&M's and dragon coloring sheets that is!!! What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment